Subject: Re: bug#21571: [patches] some small message improvements

From: Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2015 13:26:15 +0200

Pádraig Brady <[email-masked]> writes:

> While this new wording doesn't overlaps with other descriptions,
> the original wording comes from POSIX.  I don't know that the distinction
> here is TBH. Perhaps onlret relates to input while onlcr relates to output?

<http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/basedefs/V1_chap11.html#tag_11_02_03>

 If ONLCR is set, the NL character shall be transmitted as the CR-NL
 character pair. If OCRNL is set, the CR character shall be transmitted
 as the NL character. If ONOCR is set, no CR character shall be
 transmitted when at column 0 (first position). If ONLRET is set, the NL
 character is assumed to do the carriage-return function; the column
 pointer shall be set to 0 and the delays specified for CR shall be
 used. Otherwise, the NL character is assumed to do just the line-feed
 function; the column pointer remains unchanged. The column pointer
 shall also be set to 0 if the CR character is actually transmitted.

So ONLRET is mostly about properly keeping track of the column.

Andreas.

-- 
Andreas Schwab, [email-masked]
GPG Key fingerprint = 58CA 54C7 6D53 942B 1756  01D3 44D5 214B 8276 4ED5
"And now for something completely different."