Subject: bug#21568: [PATCH] Add prettify-symbols-alist for js-mode

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2015 23:18:12 +0300

On 09/27/2015 10:46 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> No, please leave that text alone.  It's okay the way it is.

I feel that the last sentence causes unnecessary doubt on the part of 
the reader. After all, CONTRIBUTE is intended as a guideline for 
developing Emacs, and the less ambiguous it is, the better.

>> What I'm referring to is requests such as this one, which I believe
>> was/is misleading:
>>
>> http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=21568#8
>
> I disagree that it was misleading.

It implied that without that cookie, something in that code might not 
work well.

> Now that we have that text in CONTRIBUTE, that's all there is to say.

All right, thank you.

> I explained my reasons right there and then.

As a counterpoint, I don't believe educational purpose is a good enough 
cause to ask people to use coding cookies in UTF-8 encoded Elisp files.

Even for external packages, over time, Emacs versions where they're 
necessary will sail off into distant past. No need to add to the baggage 
the future people will have to deal with.

> I really don't understand what this attack on me is about.

Please excuse any offense, but I'm not calling you names, or anything 
like that.

I see an attempt to bring in extraneous practice into writing Elisp 
files (as well as reviewing the patches), and speak against it.