Subject: bug#21568: [PATCH] Add prettify-symbols-alist for js-mode

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2015 22:13:20 +0300

On 09/27/2015 09:37 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> Especially in the form it was presented: adding those cookies everywhere
>> conflicts with that bit of knowledge I've had in my head that since some
>> recent Emacs version having UTF-8 in Elisp files is not a problem.
>
> That's a misrepresentation of what the text says. It explicitly does
> NOT require cookies in ELisp files that are encoded in UTF-8.

Right (so I'd only change CONTRIBUTE to say that one needn't bother with 
cookies in *.el files, except in those that are also distributed 
separately).

What I'm referring to is requests such as this one, which I believe 
was/is misleading:

http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=21568#8

Let's not add that to the general practice.

> With all due respect, I will bring up whatever issues I think are
> important when discussing patches.  Please feel free to bring up those
> that you feel to be important.

But there was no issue with that patch. js-mode is not distributed 
separately from Emacs.