Subject: bug#21568: [PATCH] Add prettify-symbols-alist for js-mode

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2015 11:39:55 +0300

> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
> From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2015 11:21:53 +0300
> 
> On 09/27/2015 10:28 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> 
> > Me too.  But we don't have a better solution yet.
> 
> Do we have a clear statement of the problem (and a bug number, maybe)? 

I just added a few recommendations to CONTRIBUTE about that.

Other than that, we don't have a bug number.  I don't think it's a
bug, more like inconvenient feature: Emacs cannot determine the
encoding of arbitrary text with 100% reliability, so files whose
encoding is not unequivocally determined by their file-name extension
or some other meta-data need a coding cookie to avoid incorrect
decoding.  With UTF-8 encoded files (which is the encoding we prefer
in Emacs), the problem happens in locales whose codeset is not UTF-8,
because Emacs prefers the locale's encoding when no other information
is available.

> Is it new?

No, it's very old.

> Is it likely to be unsolved until the upcoming release?

I'm not aware of anyone working on that, nd it's a large and
complicated problem, so the answer is probably yes.