Subject: Re: bug#21563: 24.5; discourage load-hook variables

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2020 01:03:37 +0100

Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> writes:

> Stefan Kangas wrote:
>
>> This suggests that all such variables should be considered obsolete,
>> since eval-after-load is cleaner.  I think I agree, but I have only
>> ever used eval-after-load so I might be missing something.
>>
>> I would suggest to declare the above variables obsolete and point
>> users to eval-after-load instead.
>
> I did this years ago for a few modes; eg dd210a6, 041e909, but never got
> round to doing the rest. As I said in https://debbugs.gnu.org/24491#8, I
> see no need to keep any *-load-hooks.

Interesting.  Since they also seem to be prone to cause problems like
in Bug#24491, perhaps it is indeed better to get rid of them.  They do
look crufty and redundant once you start reviewing them in context --
with no clear benefit.

I believe Drew already pointed out that any use of them could be
easily replaced by (with-)?eval-after-load.

I'll be happy to do (at least parts of) this, but should such changes
be announced in NEWS?  I noticed that you didn't do that in dd210a6 or
041e909.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas