Subject: Re: bug#21562: 24.5; Copy dir via Tramp pscp does not work

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 10:33:27 +0200

Warren Lynn <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Michael:

Hi,

> Thanks a lot for testing it out. On my Windows setup, I don't have the
> "test" directory under my Emacs installation directory (which is
> simply an unzipped directory from the official download). Where do I
> get it?

I don't know how the Windows version of Emacs is distributed. But you
could download Tramp directly from its git repo, see
<http://www.gnu.org/software/tramp/#Obtaining-Tramp>.

Once you have installed Tramp, you could run the tests like this:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
set REMOTE_TEMPORARY_FILE_DIRECTORY=/plink:albinus@magdalene:tmp

%HOMEPATH%\Desktop\emacs-25.0.50\bin\emacs.exe -Q -batch -L Y:\src\tramp\lisp -l Y:\src\tramp\test\tramp-tests.el -f ert-run-tests-batch-and-exit
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Both lines are of from my private testing blurb. Of course, you must replace
"/plink:albinus@magdalene:tmp", "%HOMEPATH%\Desktop\emacs-25.0.50" and
"Y:\src\tramp" with your proper values.

> On the other hand, my test case is really simple. I don't have any
> fancy path names (no special chars and etc). Just something like this:
> source:
> /pscp:[email-masked]:/mnt/Data_drive/wlin/ttt
> destination:
> c:\wlin\
> Or reverse source/destination.

Well, I will try to hijack a Windows machine and test it there. It would
also be good if I could reproduce the problem w/o your patch. However,
this will take some days for the known reasons.

> On Windows testing. One of the great things about Emacs is its
> versatility. It works on Windows and Linux, with either text termimal
> or GUI. Over the years, I have been bouncing between Linux and Windows
> (Windows is my main platform for the moment) and I feel I made a good
> and smart investment on Emacs. I hope the Emacs team does not treat
> Windows as the second priority and hence slowly lose one of its great
> strengths. Of course as you said, this all depends on the
> participation of the community. If you need some testing help on
> Windows, and it does not takes a lot of time (assuming most of it is
> automated), I can volunteer.

Windows will still be supported, for sure. GNU/Linux is the first class
citizen for Emacs, but other platforms are also important.

If you manage to run the Tramp test suite, you could also try the Emacs
test suite (once we will understand why it isn't installed on your
machine). The test suites run permanently for GNU/Linux, we see errors
soon. This does not happen yet for MS Windows (to my best knowledge); if
you could run them from time to time and report problems it would be of
great help.

Best regards, Michael.