Subject: bug#21559: 25.0.50; auto-revert-mode breaks git rebase

From: Alexei Khlebnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2018 11:08:53 +0100

Since some version, Git supports "--no-optional-locks" switch and
"GIT_OPTIONAL_LOCKS" environment variable for avoiding locking during "git
status".

That's how they are documented:

----------------------------------------
https://git-scm.com/docs/git#git---no-optional-locks

--no-optional-locks

Do not perform optional operations that require locks. This is equivalent
to setting the GIT_OPTIONAL_LOCKS to 0.
https://git-scm.com/docs/git-status#_background_refresh

BACKGROUND REFRESH

By default, git status will automatically refresh the index, updating the
cached stat information from the working tree and writing out the result.
Writing out the updated index is an optimization that isn’t strictly
necessary (status computes the values for itself, but writing them out is
just to save subsequent programs from repeating our computation). When
status is run in the background, the lock held during the write may
conflict with other simultaneous processes, causing them to fail. Scripts
running status in the background should consider using git
--no-optional-locks status (see git[1] for details).
----------------------------------------

Using this "--no-optional-locks" switch looks like a solution to the issue?