Subject: bug#21559: 25.0.50; auto-revert-mode breaks git rebase

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2015 10:47:02 +0200

Ben Gamari <[email-masked]> writes:

> As an aside, it came as quite a surprise that autorevert (if I
> understand the code correctly) still polls even if
> auto-revert-use-notify is set. It seems to me that this is itself a bug.
> As a laptop user who often works on battery, I keep tabs on which
> processes eat CPU time and I have noticed that emacs is consistently
> behind only firefox and Xorg in CPU time demanded at idle.

I remember there were some reasons to keep this polling behavior. Must
check years-old conversation in order to remember the reason.

> I threw together a patch [1] implementing the suggestion I presented
> above. I have yet to rigorously test it but I have yet to experience the
> issue since starting to use it.

Wouldn't it be better to provide a buffer-stale-function for files or
directories under vc control? Mode-specific functionality shouldn't be
added to auto-revert.el, I believe.

> Cheers,
> - Ben

Best regards, Michael.