Subject: bug#21559: 25.0.50; auto-revert-mode breaks git rebase

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2018 00:28:33 +0200

On 2/20/18 1:53 PM, Michael Albinus wrote:

> A dependency nightmare counts much more, IMHO.

A nightmare isn't going to arrive overnight.

>> And using a variable would make more sense if we determine that other
>> facilities, not just autorevert, make VC calls that we want to
>> consider "background".
> 
> autorevert wouldn't care who uses this variable. In a broader sense, it
> could let-bind it for the whole auto-revert-handler body.

I meant that if there's going to be more places that are going to *bind* 
this variable. In that case, moving the relevant code into vc/* would be 
unavoidable.

>> We could do that in vc-git-command, I suppose...
> 
> Perhaps. autorevert shouldn't know anything about vc-git, it should just
> let-bind the variable, and let other packages decide whether they use
> it.

All right, so you just want to move the responsibility.

> FWIW, I'm also not so enthusiastic, that aut-revert-handler calls
> vc-refresh-state directly. This would be better organized by a hook.

On the other hand, since it already has this direct call, an extra let 
binding isn't going to change much.

Anyway, it's your choice here. Do you want to show an alternative patch?