Subject: bug#21545: 25.0.50; Emacs compilation fails on make with "Error in syntax_table logic for to-the-end intervals"

From: Svend Sorensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2015 16:06:19 -0700

Compiling the emacs master branch fails. I'm using the following
commands.

./autogen.sh
CFLAGS="-ggdb3 -O0" CXXFLAGS="-ggdb3 -O0" LDFLAGS="-ggdb3" ./configure \
--prefix=$HOME/.local/emacs --with-file-notification=gfile --with-xml2 \
--without-dbus --with-gnutls --with-rsvg --with-imagemagick --with-ns \
--disable-ns-self-contained
make

The end of the out from make contains:

----
In toplevel form:
cedet/semantic/analyze/refs.el:106:29:Warning: Unknown slot ‘:tag’
  ELC      cedet/semantic/bovine/c-by.elc
../../../emacs-lisp/eieio.el: ‘eieio-object-name-string’ is an
obsolete generic function (as of 25.1); use ‘eieio-named’ instead.
  ELC      cedet/semantic/bovine/c.elc
../../../emacs-lisp/eieio.el: ‘eieio-object-name-string’ is an
obsolete generic function (as of 25.1); use ‘eieio-named’ instead.
../../../emacs-lisp/eieio-base.el: ‘eieio-object-name-string’ is an
obsolete generic function (as of 25.1); use ‘eieio-named’ instead.
Eager macro-expansion failure: (error "Error in syntax_table logic for
to-the-end intervals")
Eager macro-expansion failure: (error "Error in syntax_table logic for
to-the-end intervals")
Eager macro-expansion failure: (error "Error in syntax_table logic for
to-the-end intervals")
Eager macro-expansion failure: (error "Error in syntax_table logic for
to-the-end intervals")
Eager macro-expansion failure: (error "Error in syntax_table logic for
to-the-end intervals")
Eager macro-expansion failure: (error "Error in syntax_table logic for
to-the-end intervals")

In toplevel form:
cedet/semantic/bovine/c.el:37:1:Error: Error in syntax_table logic for
to-the-end intervals
make[2]: *** [cedet/semantic/bovine/c.elc] Error 1
make[1]: *** [compile-main] Error 2
make: *** [lisp] Error 2
----

This fails on commit 4c0fed13e5ca1826bab52cd9c3fc31ad0e5c765c.

The previous commit, aab67529d229cd0d09ae3b9d7f8bb2f44e1d6276, does
not fail during make.

In GNU Emacs 25.0.50.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin14.5.0, NS appkit-1348.17
Version 10.10.5 (Build 14F27))
 of 2015-09-23
Repository revision: aab67529d229cd0d09ae3b9d7f8bb2f44e1d6276
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1348
Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr/local/Cellar/emacs/HEAD
 --enable-locallisppath=/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --infodir=/usr/local/Cellar/emacs/HEAD/share/info/emacs
 --with-file-notification=gfile --with-xml2 --without-dbus --with-gnutls
 --with-rsvg --with-imagemagick --with-ns --disable-ns-self-contained
 'CFLAGS=-ggdb3 -O0' LDFLAGS=-ggdb3'

Configured features:
JPEG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
NS

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message dired format-spec
rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util help-fns help-mode easymenu cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib mail-prsvr
mail-utils time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win term/common-win
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan
thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian
slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote gfilenotify cocoa ns
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 80421 5068)
 (symbols 48 18759 0)
 (miscs 40 45 152)
 (strings 32 13186 4701)
 (string-bytes 1 373520)
 (vectors 16 10566)
 (vector-slots 8 394391 7437)
 (floats 8 121 31)
 (intervals 56 214 0)
 (buffers 976 11))