Subject: Re: bug#21530: 25.0.50; tty menus disappearing

From: Mark Oteiza <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2015 12:24:46 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Mark Oteiza <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2015 13:45:39 -0400
>> 
>> 
>> I didn't see mention of this in the other tty menu reports, so hopefully
>> not a dupe. From emacs -nw -Q:
>> 
>> 1. M-x display-time-mode
>> 2. F10
>> 
>> Wait for the modeline to update. The tty menu will disappear or
>> otherwise appear broken. It's still there though, running through the
>> arrow keys will redraw the tty menu.
>
> On the systems to which I have access (which include GNU/Linux and
> MS-Windows), the mode line does not update as long as the menu is
> open.  It only gets updated when I exit the menu, e.g., with C-g.
> Needless to say, the menu does not disappear nor appears broken.

I think I gave an incomplete recipe, because I can't reproduce from it
either. I forgot to mention enabling also display-battery-mode, but that
of course requires having a battery or fooling the mode into thinking
you do.

> What terminal emulator do you use?  Do you see some of the problems
> described in bug#17497?

Normally I use a VTE-based terminal emulator called termite, but I'm
able to reproduce in xterm.

As for the bug#17497 things: absolutely. I don't think those problems
have ever gone away.  It gets even worse when resizing the term and
further using the open menu. I haven't read the entire thread for that
bug yet though.

>> The same goes for buffers being displayed that redraw themselves
>> periodically.
>
> Can you show a recipe for this starting from "emacs -Q"?

I'm not aware of a built-in mode that does this, so I'll have to concoct
something.