Subject: bug#21522: assertion metadata_length > 0 in add_logical_part_metadata failed

From: James Ring <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2015 12:33:08 -0700

On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 12:10 PM, Phil Susi <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On 9/24/2015 1:45 PM, Brian C. Lane wrote:
>> I've only seen 1 other bug like this in Fedora, and I basically told
>> them they need to recreate their disk or use some other tool. I'm not
>> sure we need to support such a corner case.
>
> Given that it doesn't look like this will be easy to fix and how
> exceedingly rare it is ( which is kind of surprising to be honest ), I'm
> starting to agree.  On the other hand, we should at least throw a proper
> error message that we don't like your goofy partition table rather than
> crash with an assertion failure.

I wish I could remember exactly how I partitioned the disk. I think I
resized the NTFS partition using the Windows 7 tools and then let the
Ubuntu installer partition the rest of the disk. I'm surprised the bug
is so rare, I don't think I did anything super strange.

Regards,
James