Subject: sed not performing as specified

From: Beagleburt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 18:14:28 +1200

I am doing an online course "Introduction to Linux"
 Home Page <https://www.edx.org> LinuxFoundationX: LFS101x.2
Introduction to Linux
Chapter 13: Manipulating Text; Section 2. sed & awk

~$ cat > test1
This is a Sample Test File for the sed command.
The sed command is used to edit contents in a file.
For example, the sed command is used to replace words in a line or file.
~$ sed s/is/are/ test1
Thare is a Sample Test File for the sed command.
The sed command are used to edit contents in a file.
For example, the sed command are used to replace words in a line or file.

As you can see above the 1st instance of "is" in "This" is replaced by
"are" giving "Thare"; BUT the following two lines also have "is" replaced
by "are" EXCEPT for the "is" after "Thare". It is ALMOST as if I had
invoked the global: sed s/is/are/g test1 EXCEPT for the 2nd "is" after
"Thare"?

I am using sed version: sed (GNU sed) 4.2.2

'b'ye - Bruce Gilbert.

"For we have not been given a spirit of fear, but a spirit of Power; of
Love; & of a Sound Mind." 2nd Timothy, chapter 1, verse 7.