Subject: bug#2151: 23.0.90; Building the 23.0.90 pretest recompiles Lisp files

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 14:51:49 -0500

>> Have you tried it?  It seems to work OK for the "checkout from CVS"
>> case, so maybe it's a good solution.
> Which one? you suggested more than one, I think.

There was only one patch in my message.

>> > I don't think we need a bootstrap-emacs in a released version at all.
>> > We could add some file to the tarball, generated at make-dist time, to
>> > signal that bootstrap-emacs is not needed.  That file could actually
>> > be named `bootstrap-emacs', which should resolve the problem nicely
>> > (assuming we manage to have it older than the oldest .elc file).
>> Maybe we can get that to work, but it sounds terribly hackish.
> Why hackish? many distributions have or create such time-stamp files,
> for Make's sake.

I guess it depends on the details.

>> Also, I'd like to make sure that if some wants to change some .el files
>> and then recompile, it still works correctly.
> It will, I think, because we can copy emacs to bootstrap-emacs at the
> end of the build.

What if they edit .el files before building a first `emacs'?

        Stefan