Subject: bug#2151: 23.0.90; Building the 23.0.90 pretest recompiles Lisp files

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 13:12:09 +0200

> From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 18:21:42 -0500
> 
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> 
> > I think we should replace batch-byte-recompile-directory in make-dist
> > with a call to "make -C lisp all".  Any objections?
> 
> 
> I'd be surprised if this makes a difference. I thought the pretests
> were built using the instructions in admin/make-tarball.txt. This says
> to bootstrap, then run `make-dist --snapshot'. The latter doesn't do
> any building AFAIK. It does not run batch-byte-recompile-directory.

That's true, but then how can we explain the contradiction between
these 2 facts:

  . bootstrap runs "cd lisp; make all", which should compile
    progmodes/cc-*.el and mh-e/*.el according to the dependencies at
    the end of lisp/Makefile.in

  . in the 23.0.91 pretest tarball, the *.elc files have time stamps
    in the alphabetical order, which hints that they were built by
    batch-byte-recompile-directory; in particular, mh-e/*.elc files
    are NOT in the order dictated by their dependencies

What am I missing?