Subject: bug#21505: 24.4; Buffer order

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 14:38:19 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> It doesn't.  It only shows *Buffer List* when you as it to visit 3 or
> more files.  This is explicitly coded in command-line-1:

Ah, right.

>> I'd have thought the obvious thing to do in this situation is to
>> open as many windows as there are files (if possible)?
>
> I guess the rationale is that with too many files visited we cannot be
> sure which of them the user would like to see first, and we don't want
> to show them all, lest the windows become too small.

Yes, I guess it does make sense to display the *Buffer list* when
there's a lot of files.

>> Or open a single window displaying the first file specified
>> (and then have the rest be in the next-buffer order you describe).
>
> That'd be less useful than what we do now with 2 files, IMO.

Yeah.

So I guess the only this to fix here is the buffer ordering, as the
original bug reporter was talking about -- i.e., ensure that *scratch*
and *Messages* are at the bottom of the list.  Currently, this is the
buffer order if given "a b c d e f" as the files:

Which seems pretty chaotic.  I guess what we want to see here is

f
e
d
c
b
a
*scratch*
*Messages*

?  I mean, sorting the other way around (and selecting a) would also be
a possibility, but would be a greater behavioural change. 

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no