Subject: Re: bug#21505: 24.4; Buffer order

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 17:55:17 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 08:50:33 -0400
> 
> > No, it should always be as given to emacs/emacsclient, i.e., when I
> > invoke
> >
> >   $ emacsclient x a b
> >
> > I want to have the buffer x selected and using `next-buffer' I'd switch
> > to a and then b, and then to the other buffers which have existed
> > before.  Right now, x will be selected, but a and b are far away.
> 
> That's right.  And same for "emacs x a b".
> 
> The precise behavior is a bit more complex since those commands, rather
> than just showing the first file may/will also show the buffer-list,
> but if exactly one of the files is shown it should be the first in the
> list and next-buffer should go in the order in which the file names
> were given (until reaching the end of this list at which point it'll
> hit things like *Messages* and friends and that's fine).

The questions I asked the OP still stand.  The required feature is not
defined in sufficient detail.  If only the initial order is required,
it's probably relatively easy, but then that order is very fragile and
could easily break as soon as the user issues the first command.