Subject: bug#21498: Fwd: Re: bug#21498: ps -ef | grep "test" in eshell gives a beep

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2019 02:25:07 +0100

found 21498 27.0.50
thanks

Marcin Borkowski <[email-masked]> writes:

> Forwarding a message from the submitter, confirming that the bug still
> occurs in latest Emacs release, without a config file.

I can't reproduce this on GNU/Linux, but I can reproduce it on macOS
using Emacs 27.

The recipe can in my case be simplified to:

0. emacs -Q
1. M-x eshell
2. echo foo | grep foo

Results: I see the line "foo" printed, then it stalls until I kill it
with C-c.

I never see the beep the OP talks about, but I see the same stalling
as above when I say 'ps -ef | grep "test"'.

Perhaps this is caused by some difference between BSD grep and GNU
grep.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas