Subject: Re: Re: In shell mode, comint-send-input seems to cut off at 254 characters

From: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 00:48:39 -0400

> [in shell mode]
> /bin/tcsh -f
> set filec
> echo [very long line]
>
> I get the strange behaviour I described before.
>
> So, in /bin/tcsh, one of the things that 'set filec' turns on is to use 
> control-D to show a list of what matches the prefix of the immediately 
> preceding word.
>
> It appears that 'send_process(proc, buf, len, object)' in process.c will 
> determine that it should send a maximum of 254 characters and will send 
> '\004' at each 254 character interval.
>
> It still seems strange to me that emacs would have this behaviour.  Is 
> that really how it should be done?  I wouldn't think that I would be the 
> only user who would be using /bin/tcsh with 'set filec'.

The ^D is sent in process.c:5781.  If we are splitting a string into
chunks for sending to the process, Emacs puts in an EOF (C-d) to "force
it through".

I can't think of any fix, off the top of my head.  Stefan, can you?  If
not, we could simply document this limitation in PROBLEMS.