Subject: bug#21474: emacs-25.0.50: compilation error in leim: Args out of

From: Rob Browning <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2016 16:23:29 -0600

For what it's worth, I see a similar error here in a Debian unstable
sbuild chroot, i.e.:

    ELC      leim/quail/TONEPY.elc
    ELC      leim/quail/ZIRANMA.elc
    ELC      leim/quail/ZOZY.elc
  20000 entries
    ELC      leim/quail/arabic.elc
    ELC      leim/quail/croatian.elc
    ELC      leim/quail/cyril-jis.elc

  In toplevel form:
  leim/ja-dic/ja-dic.el:16979:1:Error: Args out of range: "神事/新字/進 信", 10
  Makefile:272: recipe for target 'leim/ja-dic/ja-dic.elc' failed
  make[4]: *** [leim/ja-dic/ja-dic.elc] Error 1
  make[4]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
  make[4]: Leaving directory '/<<BUILDDIR>>/emacs25-25.1+1/debian/build-x/lisp'
  Makefile:295: recipe for target 'compile-main' failed
  make[3]: *** [compile-main] Error 2
  make[3]: Leaving directory '/<<BUILDDIR>>/emacs25-25.1+1/debian/build-x/lisp'
  Makefile:387: recipe for target 'lisp' failed
  make[2]: *** [lisp] Error 2
  make[2]: Leaving directory '/<<BUILDDIR>>/emacs25-25.1+1/debian/build-x'
  debian/rules:360: recipe for target 'override_dh_auto_build' failed
  make[1]: *** [override_dh_auto_build] Error 2
  make[1]: Leaving directory '/<<BUILDDIR>>/emacs25-25.1+1'
  debian/rules:225: recipe for target 'build' failed
  make: *** [build] Error 2
  dpkg-buildpackage: error: debian/rules build gave error exit status 2

I'd be happy to try to diagnose this further, if there's anything you'd
like me to try.  Though it's not easy to trigger.

And I actually I hit this while trying to track down another
intermittent failure (that may or may not also only happen in a chroot),
and which may also cause Emacs 25 to be omitted from the next Debian
stable release if I can't fix it soon:

  https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=842728

I was planning to raise that issue on emacs-devel after I'd tried to
reproduce it myself a bit more.  I haven't yet, but someone else (today)
was just able to reproduce it in a similar environment.

Thanks
-- 
Rob Browning
rlb @defaultvalue.org and @debian.org
GPG as of 2011-07-10 E6A9 DA3C C9FD 1FF8 C676 D2C4 C0F0 39E9 ED1B 597A
GPG as of 2002-11-03 14DD 432F AE39 534D B592 F9A0 25C8 D377 8C7E 73A4