Subject: Re: bug#21472: 25.0.50; REGRESSION: (emacs) `Coding Systems' uses curly quotes for Lisp strings

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 21:34:15 +0300

> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 11:27:14 -0700
> 
> On 09/16/2015 10:18 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > "Push" here is
> > jargon
> 
> It would be ridiculous to quote every use of a technical term in the 
> manual.

That's not what I suggested, or did.  I left most of your unquoting in
place, and only changed those that were too annoying.

> It's fine to quote the defining occurrence (prefably with 
> @dfn), but other uses of technical terms should appear unquoted. This is 
> standard English style and it's what Emacs manuals should use.

And that's what we do.  But "push", "wheel", etc. aren't technical
terms, they are jargon that crept into the language in some quarters.
For them, a different rule and a separate judgment call is only
prudent.

> The defenses you gave for the quotes in the examples are weak; those
> quotes are unnecessary distractions to the reader, and their costs
> outweigh their benefits.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on that.