Subject: bug#21472: closed (Re: bug#21472: 25.0.50; REGRESSION: (emacs) `Coding Systems' uses curly quotes for Lisp strings)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2015 20:08:02 +0000

Your bug report

#21472: 25.0.50; REGRESSION: (emacs) `Coding Systems' uses curly quotes for Lisp strings

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
21472: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=21472
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#21472: 25.0.50; REGRESSION: (emacs) `Coding Systems' uses curly quotes for Lisp strings
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2015 23:07:27 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2015 08:45:01 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
> 
>    In addition to converting various representations of non-ASCII
>  characters, a coding system can perform end-of-line conversion.  Emacs
>  handles three different conventions for how to separate lines in a file:
>  newline ("unix"), carriage-return linefeed ("dos"), and just
>  carriage-return ("mac").
> 
> Why curly double-quotes here?

These are literal strings, so they are quoted.

> Either those quoted names are supposed
> to be Lisp strings or they are proper names.  In the latter case they
> should not be quoted at all, and they should be properly capitalized.
> In the former case (which is what I'm guessing is meant), plain ASCII
> double-quote chars should be used.

Latest versions of makeinfo convert ``...'' into “...”.  That's life,
you should get used to it.  It won't go away, no matter how many "bug
reports" you will file for that.

Subject: 25.0.50; REGRESSION: (emacs) `Coding Systems' uses curly quotes for Lisp strings
From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2015 08:45:01 -0700 (PDT)
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Emacs Info manuals have long used double-quotes for two things:

* Setting off terms that are defined (e.g., glossary terms).
  (This is presumably the case for the occurrence of "codepages"
  in this same node.)

* Programming strings - e.g. Lisp strings (including file-name strings).

In (emacs) `Coding Sytems', at least, it seems that Curly-Quote Mania
has struck another nasty blow:

   In addition to converting various representations of non-ASCII
 characters, a coding system can perform end-of-line conversion.  Emacs
 handles three different conventions for how to separate lines in a file:
 newline ("unix"), carriage-return linefeed ("dos"), and just
 carriage-return ("mac").

Why curly double-quotes here?  Either those quoted names are supposed
to be Lisp strings or they are proper names.  In the latter case they
should not be quoted at all, and they should be properly capitalized.
In the former case (which is what I'm guessing is meant), plain ASCII
double-quote chars should be used.

Please don't confuse users this way, and make them guess what is meant.
Get it straight, please.

Plain ASCII double-quote chars should always be used for strings.

In GNU Emacs 25.0.50.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2015-08-16 on LEG570
Bzr revision: f7ee23e587b01f179284b5554c67d579a2def676
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --host=3Di686-pc-mingw32 --enable-checking=3Dyes,glyphs'