Subject: RE: bug#21472: 25.0.50; REGRESSION: (emacs) `Coding Systems' uses curly quotes for Lisp strings

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2015 16:48:15 -0700 (PDT)

> If this means that we should avoid quoting text just because
> Drew doesn't like a certain type of quotes, then I object.

I made it perfectly clear that this bug report has nothing
to do with my preference or lack thereof for any particular
kind of quoting.

For example:

 This is *not* a general problem.  It is not about the use of
         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 curly double-quotes in, for example, the copyright statement
 (e.g.,  "You have the freedom to copy and modify this GNU manual.
 Buying copies from the FSF supports it in developing GNU and
 promoting software freedom.").

 ...
 The point of this bug is that those *particular* terms do
                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 not belong between curly double-quotes (IMHO).  If they were
 ordinary text being quoted then they would be (should be)
 capitalized - "unix", "dos", etc. are written incorrectly
 for such a usage.

 This bug is not about other curly double-quoted text in the
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 manual.  It is specific to these terms.
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

and in another message:

  Quoted text might end up with curly quotes.  The question is
  why these words should be quoted (using ordinary text quotes),
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  and if they should (no reason given so far) then why they
  should be lowercase.

Yet you continue with your Drew-bashing, based on your spurious
claim.  Why?

Why is quoting appropriate for _this particular text_ at all?
That's the first question posed, in effect, by the bug report.

You could have answered Paul's removal of the quotes by giving
a _reason why_ they are needed _here_, but you chose only to
dump on Drew for reporting the oddball use of quoting here.
Too bad.  What a cop-out - attack the messenger.

What kind of quotes do you think are appropriate for "unix",
"dos", and "mac", none of which are proper names as lowercase?
And why?

What is the point of downcasing and then quoting them?  That's
what the question underlying this bug report.

No answer, so far.