Subject: bug#21472: 25.0.50; REGRESSION: (emacs) `Coding Systems' uses curly quotes for Lisp strings

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2015 10:08:50 -0400

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

  > Emacs Info manuals have long used double-quotes for two things:

  > * Setting off terms that are defined (e.g., glossary terms).
  >   (This is presumably the case for the occurrence of "codepages"
  >   in this same node.)

Those are English quotation marks.

  > * Programming strings - e.g. Lisp strings (including file-name strings).

We write Lisp strings in Lisp syntax, which includes ASCII doublequote
characters.

  >   Emacs
  >  handles three different conventions for how to separate lines in a file:
  >  newline ("unix"), carriage-return linefeed ("dos"), and just
  >  carriage-return ("mac").

  > Why curly double-quotes here?  Either those quoted names are supposed
  > to be Lisp strings or they are proper names.

I don't think they are Lisp strings.  Those are informal aliases, not
proper names, hence call for English quotation marks.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation (gnu.org, fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (internethalloffame.org)
Skype: No way! See stallman.org/skype.html.