Subject: bug#21468: 24.5; When next-line (visual) crosses overlay with before-string="\n" point goes to column 0

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2015 09:53:54 +0300

> Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2015 16:50:10 -0400
> From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> If you can suggest a way to get horizontal bars that are ignored by
> point movement without using newlines in overlays, then great. I
> almost got there using :overline and :underline, but as far as I can
> tell, there's no way to extend the line to the edge of the screen
> without using an overlay with a newline.

I think you should be able to extend the face by using a display
property with :align-to value.  The value should be computed to go all
the way to the edge of the window.

> If you just want to say that the region should be shown by
> highlighting instead of horizontal bars, then *shrug*.

I cannot do anything about these issues besides explaining how they
harm Emacs maintenance, and asking people to look for alternative
solutions.  And yes, highlighting sounds like a good alternative to
me.  Feel free to ignore the requests, if you don't consider them
important enough.