Subject: Re: bug#21468: 24.5; When next-line (visual) crosses overlay with before-string="\n" point goes to column 0

From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2015 16:50:10 -0400

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 9:22 AM, Stefan Monnier
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> I think the better way to do it nowadays is to simply arrange for the
> region highlighting to extend to to whole lines.

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 11:14 AM, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2015 09:55:57 -0400
>> From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
>> In that buffer, after evaluating its code, when region is active you
>> should see 2 highlighted thin lines delimiting the region, instead of
>> the normal region highlight.
>
> I think Stefan suggested a way to achieve this without all this
> complexity.  I hope it will be possible.

If you can suggest a way to get horizontal bars that are ignored by
point movement without using newlines in overlays, then great. I
almost got there using :overline and :underline, but as far as I can
tell, there's no way to extend the line to the edge of the screen
without using an overlay with a newline.

If you just want to say that the region should be shown by
highlighting instead of horizontal bars, then *shrug*.