Subject: bug#21468: 24.5; When next-line (visual) crosses overlay with before-string="\n" point goes to column 0

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2015 18:14:27 +0300

> Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2015 09:55:57 -0400
> From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 9:33 AM, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > What's wrong with marking the region with some special background
> > color?
> 
> I saw the fix you applied, and I certainly understand your distaste at
> adding these special cases, but I don't want to start debating the
> aesthetics now.

It's not the aesthetics I'm worried about, it's maintainability.  I
had the dubious pleasure of writing most of those special-case parts,
and I'm already beginning to have difficulty remembering what use case
does each one cater to, and how to make sure I don't break it by some
change.  How can we expect others to make changes in such a mess?

> > What am I supposed to see?  I see nothing that I don't see without
> > this.
> 
> In that buffer, after evaluating its code, when region is active you
> should see 2 highlighted thin lines delimiting the region, instead of
> the normal region highlight.

I think Stefan suggested a way to achieve this without all this
complexity.  I hope it will be possible.