Subject: Re: bug#21466: [PATCH] Avoid defining (temporarily) vars and functions

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 21:09:11 +0000

Hello, Lars.

On Wed, Mar 23, 2022 at 21:13:35 +0100, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]> writes:

> > So, I don't object on principle to the principle of the patch, just
> > there are these little irritations about it, and it will need me to
> > study it more closely to check nothing subtle would get lost (I doubt it
> > would).

> The patch no longer applied to Emacs 29, so I've respun it.

[ .... ]

I'll take a look at it, hopefully over the weekend.

> However, it leads to a number of warnings when compiling, so either my
> respin is faulty, or something's changed to make it not work any more?

> In c-fontify-recorded-types-and-refs:
> progmodes/cc-fonts.el:491:8: Warning: function `c-fontify-recorded-types-and-refs' defined multiple times in this file
>   ELC      progmodes/cc-styles.elc
> In c-font-lock-declarators:
> progmodes/cc-fonts.el:1063:8: Warning: function `c-font-lock-declarators' defined multiple times in this file
> progmodes/cc-fonts.el:2300:35: Warning: reference to free variable `c-preprocessor-face-name'
> progmodes/cc-fonts.el:2300:35: Warning: reference to free variable `c-preprocessor-face-name'
> progmodes/cc-fonts.el:2496:37: Warning: reference to free variable `c-preprocessor-face-name'
> progmodes/cc-fonts.el:2496:37: Warning: reference to free variable `c-preprocessor-face-name'
> progmodes/cc-fonts.el:2501:37: Warning: reference to free variable `c-reference-face-name'
> In c-font-lock-objc-method:
> progmodes/cc-fonts.el:2527:8: Warning: function `c-font-lock-objc-method' defined multiple times in this file
> progmodes/cc-fonts.el:2602:38: Warning: reference to free variable `c-preprocessor-face-name'
> progmodes/cc-fonts.el:2602:38: Warning: reference to free variable `c-preprocessor-face-name'
> progmodes/cc-fonts.el:2650:38: Warning: reference to free variable `c-reference-face-name'
> progmodes/cc-fonts.el:2678:37: Warning: reference to free variable `c-preprocessor-face-name'
> progmodes/cc-fonts.el:2678:37: Warning: reference to free variable `c-preprocessor-face-name'
> progmodes/cc-fonts.el:2683:37: Warning: reference to free variable `c-reference-face-name'
> progmodes/cc-fonts.el:2711:38: Warning: reference to free variable `c-preprocessor-face-name'
> progmodes/cc-fonts.el:2711:38: Warning: reference to free variable `c-preprocessor-face-name'
> progmodes/cc-fonts.el:2716:38: Warning: reference to free variable `c-reference-face-name'

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).