Subject: bug#21462: 25.0.50; Gnus thread gathering and sorting inverted

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2016 15:51:06 +1100

Michael Welsh Duggan <[email-masked]> writes:

> 1) gnus-make-threads -> gathers articles into threads by ref
> 2) gnus-cut-threads  -> removes "uninteresting" articles from the
>    threads
> 3) gnus-sort-threads -> sorts the threads (with respect to each other thread)
> 4) gnus-summary-thread-gathering-function -> gathers threads with
>    similar characteristics (subject, reference) into a single thread
> 5) gnus-sort-gathered-threads -> sorts the articles within each thread
>
> My argument is that steps 3 and 4 are backwards.  Step 4 is the place
> where the final thread groupings are decided, and sorting these threads
> with respect to each other should happen afterward.

Yes, but can't you just sort the gathered threads in the way you would
have wanted to have them sorted if they had been sorted before
gathering?  I think I vaguely think that should kinda work...

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no