Subject: bug#21452: closed (Re: bug#21452: 24.5; conf-mode has no parent)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2020 04:16:03 +0000

Your bug report

#21452: 24.5; conf-mode has no parent

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
21452: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=21452
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#21452: 24.5; conf-mode has no parent
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Kurt Hackenberg <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2020 21:15:30 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Kurt Hackenberg <[email-masked]> writes:

> The major mode conf-mode has no parent mode, and does not inherit
> anything, because it's not defined with define-derived-mode, just with
> defun.

This was fixed in:

commit e2a15c8ac4efe823c51c9a5750642532155199a8
Author: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date:   Sat Mar 14 15:16:51 2020 -0400

    * lisp/textmodes/conf-mode.el (conf-mode): Use define-derived-mode

> The source file conf-mode.el is in lisp/textmodes, but that seems
> wrong.  Conf-mode's children edit files that contain software
> configuration, not human language.  Probably conf-mode should be
> derived from prog-mode.

Moving files is generally frowned upon since it makes it harder to
follow the history in git.  So for better or for worse, we will have to
live with its current location.

I don't see anything more to do here, so I'm closing this bug.  Thanks.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas

Subject: 24.5; conf-mode has no parent
From: Kurt Hackenberg <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2015 23:17:22 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The major mode conf-mode has no parent mode, and does not inherit
anything, because it's not defined with define-derived-mode, just with
defun.

The source file conf-mode.el is in lisp/textmodes, but that seems
wrong.  Conf-mode's children edit files that contain software
configuration, not human language.  Probably conf-mode should be
derived from prog-mode.

Because of the lack of inheritance, my init file contains this
workaround:

;; show trailing whitespace (GNU 21)
;;for programming language modes and text modes, but not special modes
;;(dired, shell, etc.)
;;The minor mode whitespace-mode can do this now, but I haven't converted.
(if (not (featurep 'xemacs))
  (let ((tmp '(lambda () (setq show-trailing-whitespace t))))
    ;;use major mode inheritance to do this for these and their descendants
    (add-hook 'prog-mode-hook tmp)
    (add-hook 'text-mode-hook tmp)
    ;;bug: conf-mode is not derived from any other mode, doesn't inherit
    (add-hook 'conf-mode-hook tmp)))

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (amd64-portbld-freebsd10.1, GTK+ Version 2.24.27)
 of 2015-05-23 on 101amd64-default-job-03
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version
 11.0.11407000
Configured using:
 `configure --localstatedir=/var --disable-acl --with-dbus
 --without-file-notification --with-gconf --with-gif --with-gnutls
 --with-gsettings --with-jpeg --with-m17n-flt --with-imagemagick
 --with-libotf --with-png --with-toolkit-scroll-bars --with-rsvg
 --with-tiff --with-x --with-xft --with-xim --with-xml2 --with-xpm
 --with-x-toolkit=gtk2 --with-sound=oss --x-libraries=/usr/local/lib
 --x-includes=/usr/local/include --prefix=/usr/local
 --mandir=/usr/local/man --infodir=/usr/local/share/emacs/info/
 --build=amd64-portbld-freebsd10.1 'CFLAGS=-O2 -pipe -fstack-protector
 -fno-strict-aliasing' CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include 'LDFLAGS=
 -L/usr/local/lib -Wl,-rpath=/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib
 -fstack-protector''

Important settings:
   locale-coding-system: nil

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822
mml
easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date tooltip electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd
tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 70974 6840)
 (symbols 48 17553 0)
 (miscs 40 35 128)
 (strings 32 9003 4327)
 (string-bytes 1 247987)
 (vectors 16 8908)
 (vector-slots 8 383144 18301)
 (floats 8 63 154)
 (intervals 56 200 146)
 (buffers 960 11))