Subject: bug#2145: closed (Re: bug#2145: 23.0.90; S-SPC should scroll up in view-only buffers)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 04:49:03 +0000

Your bug report

#2145: 23.0.90; S-SPC should scroll up in view-only buffers

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
2145: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=2145
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#2145: 23.0.90; S-SPC should scroll up in view-only buffers
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 23:48:18 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 24.4

Rudi Schlatte wrote:

> S-SPC should scroll up in view-only buffers, such as info, gnus
> messages and buffers in view-mode; currently it scrolls down.

Sorry for the huge delay. This seemed like a good idea to me, so I did
it in whichever relevant keymaps I could find.

Subject: 23.0.90; S-SPC should scroll up in view-only buffers
From: Rudi Schlatte <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 09:19:56 +0800

(This should be filed as "wishlist")

Summary:

S-SPC should scroll up in view-only buffers, such as info, gnus
messages and buffers in view-mode; currently it scrolls down.

Rationale:

Most other programs that display more than a screenful of information
(Firefox, various mail clients, the evince pdf viewer, ...) use SPC to
scroll down and S-SPC (Shift-Space) to scroll up.  Emacs uses SPC (and
S-SPC) to scroll down and <backspace> to scroll up.  Additionally, in
some programs, Backspace is bound to some deleting action (in my email
reader, it moves the current message to Trash).  Paging up and down
through stuff thus requires me to be careful about which program I'm
in; I've accidentally deleted emails after reading too much stuff in
emacs.

Workarounds:

Putting the appropriate define-key forms, e.g.

(define-key view-mode-map (kbd "S-SPC") 'View-scroll-page-backward)
(define-key Info-mode-map (kbd "S-SPC") 'Info-scroll-down)

in the user's init file.