Subject: 24.4; `checkdoc-current-buffer' does not check the current buffer.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2015 22:12:26 +0200

Hi,

I wanted to use `checkdoc-current-buffer' programmatically.
Unfortunately, it seems the function `checkdoc-current-buffer' may check
part of a buffer that is not the current buffer.

Running the attached file 'test-checkdoc-buffer.el' with the command:

   emacs -Q  --batch --eval='(progn (find-file "./test-checkdoc-buffer.el") (eval-buffer))'

will print:

   ERROR `checkdoc-current-buffer' didn't check the current buffer

which means `checkdoc-current-buffer' checked (part of) the buffer:

   "*NOT THE BUFFER TO CHECK*"

instead of the requested buffer:

   "test-checkdoc-buffer.el"

Also, loading this file 'test-checkdoc-buffer.el' and using
`eval-buffer' will show the resulting wrong "*Style Warnings*" buffer.

It seems to me that, in `checkdoc-show-diagnostics', the instructions

    (pop-to-buffer b)
     ...
    (other-window -1)

are putting emacs in a window/buffer configuration that checkdoc does
not understand.

Bruno.

In GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.12.2)
 of 2015-01-23 on tosh-laptop
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11502000
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/usr --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
 --host=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share --sysconfdir=/etc
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --disable-dependency-tracking
 --disable-silent-rules --libdir=/usr/lib64 --program-suffix=-emacs-24
 --infodir=/usr/share/info/emacs-24 --localstatedir=/var
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-gameuser=games --without-compress-install
 --with-file-notification=inotify --enable-acl --with-dbus
 --without-gnutls --without-gpm --without-hesiod --without-kerberos
 --without-kerberos5 --with-xml2 --without-selinux --without-wide-int
 --with-zlib --with-sound=alsa --with-x --without-ns --without-gconf
 --without-gsettings --without-toolkit-scroll-bars --without-gif
 --with-jpeg --with-png --with-rsvg --without-tiff --with-xpm
 --with-imagemagick --with-xft --without-libotf --without-m17n-flt
 --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 GENTOO_PACKAGE=app-editors/emacs-24.4-r1
 'CFLAGS=-O2 -pipe -march=native' CPPFLAGS= 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1
 -Wl,--as-needed''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x e m a c s SPC r o <backspace> <backspace> b u <tab> 
<backspace> <backspace> r e p o <tab> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> r e p o <tab> <tab> 
r <tab> <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils help-mode easymenu time-date tooltip
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 73067 6118)
 (symbols 48 17633 0)
 (miscs 40 44 185)
 (strings 32 9414 3792)
 (string-bytes 1 259601)
 (vectors 16 9000)
 (vector-slots 8 384484 17472)
 (floats 8 65 139)
 (intervals 56 362 16)
 (buffers 960 13)
 (heap 1024 40891 1094))