Subject: Re: bug#21435: 25.0.50; file-notify has problems after renames

From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2015 21:01:18 +0200

Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:

>>>> PS: Tassilo, you write great test cases. Do you want to contribute
>>>> to test/automated/file-notify-tests.el?
>>
>> Yes, but right now I can't because all these corner cases like the ones
>> from my last two reports are largely undocumented so I don't know what
>> to assert.  I myself don't have a strong opinion on the behavior of
>> file-notify as long as it's consistent across the different
>> `file-notify--library' possibilities (at least mostly, e.g., I can live
>> with created/deleted events in place of renamed in case the backend
>> doesn't support this) and the documentation is a bit more definite.
>
> Even the straigt forward cases are not covered well in
> file-notify-tests.el.  There is a test whether events arrive, but the
> nature of the events is not asserted.
>
> You could try with what you expect, at least for inotify, and Eli and
> I could check then for the gfilenotify and w32notify cases. If we have
> the same results, fine; if we have different results it would be a
> good chance for us to harmonize.

That's right.  I'll try adding some tests whenever I find some time.

Bye,
Tassilo