Subject: Re: bug#21435: 25.0.50; file-notify has problems after renames

From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2015 08:13:15 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> But just typing in "info locals" in the *gud-bootstrap-emacs* buffer is
>> about the same, no?  And that shows
>> 
>>   event = {kind = FILE_NOTIFY_EVENT, part = scroll_bar_nowhere, code = 0,
>> modifiers = 0, x = 0, y = 0, timestamp = 0, frame_or_window = 0, arg = 0}
>> 
>> whereas the relevant line in the locals GUD window is just
>> 
>>   struct input_event event        nil
>> 
>> So that looks like a bug.  I guess I should report this, or will you fix
>> this right now?
>
> Please report it, with a test case.  A C struct can never be nil, so
> this is a clear bug.

Done: bug#21438.

But it actually seems to be intentional.  GUD uses the --simple-values
option when getting the values of the locals, and then all variables of
complex types have no value and nil is printed.  Well, in the report I
suggest to use something like <non-simple value> instead to make it
obvious that the value is not nil but simply not displayed.

Bye,
Tassilo