Subject: Re: bug#21435: 25.0.50; file-notify has problems after renames

From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2015 21:28:16 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Two days ago (commit dbdc459a48091f5953faf14bcaaa7e6d37fbf024), I've
>> changed filenotify.el to fire 2 events `renamed' in case the
>> directories of the source and target are different. This was
>> triggered by a user report, that he wants to have auto-revert-mode
>> for two different directories under dired control. So the event is
>> sent for the two different handlers activated by the respective
>> *-add-watch calls.
>
> But then Tassilo's "renames always seem to be reported twice" is
> inaccurate: this should only happen when a file is moved to another
> directory.

See my other mail: the test if the source/target are different were done
by testing if the descriptors are not `eq' but since inotify descriptors
are conses, that test returned nil even though they were structurally
equal.

>> PS: Tassilo, you write great test cases. Do you want to contribute to
>> test/automated/file-notify-tests.el?

Yes, but right now I can't because all these corner cases like the ones
from my last two reports are largely undocumented so I don't know what
to assert.  I myself don't have a strong opinion on the behavior of
file-notify as long as it's consistent across the different
`file-notify--library' possibilities (at least mostly, e.g., I can live
with created/deleted events in place of renamed in case the backend
doesn't support this) and the documentation is a bit more definite.

>> PPS: Forgive me slow progress; I'm still suffering from health
>> problems.
>
> Wish you to recover quickly.

Ditto!

Bye,
Tassilo