Subject: bug#21428: 24.5; Crash of emacs on OS X, installed via homebrew cask

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2015 19:47:30 +0300

> From: Rainer M Krug <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2015 10:16:22 +0200
> 
> OK - I upgraded the OS and emacs is still crashing (although I think
> less frequent?).
> 
> I attach the log and I think we are going somewhere.

No, I don't think we've made any progress yet.  I need to see a
transcript of a session which ends with an assertion violation due to
FACE_FROM_ID returning a NULL pointer.  This session 9and the one
before it) ended prematurely, and it did because of this:

  Lisp Backtrace:
  Cannot access memory at address 0x2018e20

Somehow, GDB was unable to produce a Lisp backtrace for a reason that
evades me.  I'm not sure this reason is relevant, so for now, let's
work around it.  For your next session, please start GDB from a
directory other than where you have the .gdbinit file that comes with
Emacs sources, and please do NOT issue the 'source' command to read
.gdbinit before you run Emacs under GDB.  This should avoid the
problem we see here, and hopefully allow you to continue running until
Emacs hits that assertion violation in get_glyph_face_and_encoding.
When that happens, the last portion of gdb.txt before the assertion
will hopefully tell us what goes on.

> I have left the session open so just let me know if you need further
> info.

Thanks, you can close it and start a new one.