Subject: bug#21426: closed (Re: bug#21426: 25.0.50; Emacs Trunk (OSX): unable to build using --with-ns --enable-checking='glyphs')

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2015 07:59:02 +0000

Your bug report

#21426: 25.0.50; Emacs Trunk (OSX): unable to build using --with-ns --enable-checking='glyphs'

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
21426: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=21426
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#21426: 25.0.50; Emacs Trunk (OSX): unable to build using --with-ns --enable-checking='glyphs'
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Keith David Bershatsky <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2015 10:58:00 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2015 21:22:22 -0700
> From: Keith David Bershatsky <[email-masked]>
> 
> In grepping for the word `redisplay`, I read the following:
> 
> "** Debugging Emacs redisplay problems.  If you configured Emacs with --enable-checking='glyphs', you can use redisplay tracing facilities from a running Emacs session.  The command "M-x trace-redisplay RET" will produce a trace of what redisplay does on the standard error stream."
> 
> So, I tried building using the following command line with a current version of Emacs Trunk master:
> 
> ./configure --with-ns --without-imagemagick --enable-checking='glyphs'
> 
> The build failed:
> 
> nsfns.m: In function 'unwind_create_frame':
> nsfns.m:1027: error: 'dpyinfo' undeclared (first use in this function)
> nsfns.m:1027: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> nsfns.m:1027: error: for each function it appears in.)
> make[1]: *** [nsfns.o] Error 1
> make: *** [src] Error 2

Should be fixed now.

Subject: 25.0.50; Emacs Trunk (OSX): unable to build using --with-ns --enable-checking='glyphs'
From: Keith David Bershatsky <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2015 21:22:22 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

In grepping for the word `redisplay`, I read the following:

"** Debugging Emacs redisplay problems.  If you configured Emacs with --enable-checking='glyphs', you can use redisplay tracing facilities from a running Emacs session.  The command "M-x trace-redisplay RET" will produce a trace of what redisplay does on the standard error stream."

So, I tried building using the following command line with a current version of Emacs Trunk master:

./configure --with-ns --without-imagemagick --enable-checking='glyphs'

The build failed:

nsfns.m: In function 'unwind_create_frame':
nsfns.m:1027: error: 'dpyinfo' undeclared (first use in this function)
nsfns.m:1027: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
nsfns.m:1027: error: for each function it appears in.)
make[1]: *** [nsfns.o] Error 1
make: *** [src] Error 2

Then, I tried going back in time to various prior commits doing a hard reset, and I even went back to October 1, 2014, but the result was the same error message when trying to build Emacs.

I would like to be able to use the function `trace-redisplay` to find out why there is a slight visual pause every few seconds when holding down the arrow keys (auto-repeat) and running minor-modes that place/remove overlays.  The profiler report has not been helpful in that regard.  In layman's terms, it is as though Emacs is taking a breath before proceeding.  Setting the `header-line-format` to `nil` and the `mode-line-format` to `nil` does not resolve the issue.  Turning off all other minor-modes such as `blink-cursor`, does not resolve the issue.  Turning off `font-lock-mode` does not resolve the issue.  Setting the `pre-redisplay-function` to `nil` does not resolve the issue.  Setting the `pre-command-hook` to `nil` does not resolve the issue.  This is not anything new, but I've never been able to find out why this happens.  I've played with garbage collection suppression with higher variable values, but that didn't have any noticeable affect on the visual pause.  I've set the `timer-list` and `timer-idle-list` to `nil`, but that does not resolve the issue.

Thanks,

Keith

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

In GNU Emacs 25.0.50.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin10.8.0, NS appkit-1038.36 Version 10.6.8 (Build 10K549))
 of 2015-08-29 on server.private
Repository revision: 24ae05251587fbba4687544ec57565c8bc48071a
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1038
Configured using:
 `configure --with-ns --without-imagemagick'

Configured features:
DBUS ACL LIBXML2 ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS NS

Important settings:
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: TXT

Minor modes in effect:
  tb-mode: t
  sb-mode: t
  ml-mode: t
  fl-mode: t
  ds-mode: t
  lawlist-diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  sd-mode: t
  bc-mode: t
  +-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t

Recent messages:
Emacs:  ./configure --with-ns --without-imagemagic . . .
Emacs:  nsfns.m: In function 'unwind_create_fram . . .
`lawlist-mark` set. [2 times]
*beep*
command-execute: Buffer is read-only: #<buffer .scratch>
Read-Only mode disabled in current buffer
Wrote /Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/.scratch [2 times]
Emacs:  ./configure --with-ns --without-imagemagic . . .
Emacs:  --enable-checking='glyphs'
ALERT:  s-b is undefined!

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug sendmail flyspell ispell lawlist-ztree lawlist-yas
lawlist-ws lawlist-wl elmo-imap4 elmo-localdir modb-standard
modb-legacy elmo-internal elmo-flag mmelmo-imap mmelmo-buffer
elsp-generic mel-u ps-print ps-def lpr epg-config enriched lawlist-w3m
doc-view image-mode ccl lawlist-vl lawlist-view lawlist-undo
lawlist-txt lawlist-tm lawlist-tex compare-w lawlist-tabbar
lawlist-speedbar lawlist-shell info esh-groups ehelp ange-ftp
lawlist-sgml lawlist-sb lawlist-saveplace lawlist-ruler
lawlist-replace lawlist-rectangle lawlist-re-builder lawlist-python
skeleton lawlist-profiler lawlist-print lawlist-php cl-seq
lawlist-perl lawlist-parens lawlist-org lawlist-calendar org-agenda
org org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete org-list org-faces
org-entities org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-exp org-src ob-keys ob-comint ob-core ob-eval org-compat
org-macs org-loaddefs find-func holidays hol-loaddefs cal-menu
calendar cal-loaddefs lawlist-neotree lawlist-movement lawlist-mouse
lawlist-ml lawlist-minibuffer lawlist-misc lawlist-messages lawlist-mc
rect lawlist-markdown noutline outline lawlist-lorem lawlist-ln
lawlist-keymap lawlist-js lawlist-ispell lawlist-isearch lawlist-imenu
lawlist-ibuffer lawlist-hl lawlist-grep lawlist-git ido vc-git vc
vc-dispatcher thingatpt time-stamp subr-x server nntp gnus-group
gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source tls utf7
netrc parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win nnoo mm-view
mml-smime smime dig mailcap log-view log-edit message mml mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode gmm-utils mailheader pcvs-util add-log
ldap json grep compile find-lisp ediff-merg ediff-wind ediff-diff
ediff-mult ediff-help ediff-init ediff-util ediff diff-mode conf-mode
autorevert filenotify lawlist-frameset lawlist-framebase
lawlist-framebufs lawlist-frame lawlist-font-lock lawlist-fm
lawlist-faces lawlist-env lawlist-elscreen lawlist-elisp lawlist-dv
jka-compr lawlist-image lawlist-files zeroconf dbus xml lawlist-ds
lawlist-dired dired format-spec lawlist-diff cl-macs lawlist-desktop
frameset lawlist-debug lawlist-window debug lawlist-css smie
lawlist-compile rx lawlist-color lawlist-cm gv lawlist-cc cc-langs
cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align
cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs cc-bytecomp lawlist-calc lawlist-calc+
lawlist-bk lawlist-bc lawlist-bbdb gnus gnus-ems nnheader mail-utils
wid-edit mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev
mail-extr rfc822 timezone lawlist-auth gnus-util mm-util help-fns
mail-prsvr password-cache lawlist-as lawlist-archive lawlist-+
lawlist-lcl byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra seq cconv
lawlist-help disp-table easy-mmode edmacro kmacro quail help-mode
easymenu cl-loaddefs cl-lib pcase derived advice shell pcomplete
comint ansi-color ring savehist time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win
term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese
eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button
faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote dbusbind cocoa ns multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 2358467 291794)
 (symbols 48 88082 0)
 (miscs 40 738 978)
 (strings 32 203524 19986)
 (string-bytes 1 7699320)
 (vectors 16 46502)
 (vector-slots 8 1435255 74966)
 (floats 8 2848 1118)
 (intervals 56 28486 135)
 (buffers 976 23))