Subject: Re: bug#21423: 24.5; (package-initialize) added to init.el without (setq package-enable-at-startup nil)

From: Artur Malabarba <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2015 11:26:38 +0100

Pushed the patch above plus some documentation in the NEWS and the manual.

2015-09-06 23:33 GMT+01:00 Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>:
>>> That said, this change would seem to be an issue for anyone who is
>>> performing a partial initialisation in their init file (for specific
>>> packages), and then depending on the default initialisation to deal
>>> with the remainder, post-init.
>>>
>>> I can only imagine that's a very small proportion of users indeed,
>>> but I presume the scenario ought to be considered (even if only for
>>> the purposes of documenting it in NEWS).
>
>> Yes, they'll have to add (setq package-enable-at-startup t) after
>> calling initialize. That should definitely go in the NEWS.
>
> I have a hard time imagining many users doing that.  As a user, if I'm
> picky enough to try and do a partial initialization in my init file,
> I'll probably also want to do the final full initialization explicitly
> in my init file.

Now that it's pushed, I'm sure _someone_ will be affected by this and
will politely let us know. :)