Subject: Re: bug#21422: 25.0.50; apropos-library on libraries using cl-def{generic,method} fails

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2016 11:36:40 +0200

> From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Mark Oteiza <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2016 20:27:57 -0500
> 
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> 
> >> cl-generic is used pretty widely, and apropos-library fails on libraries
> >> using it. Could this be marked to be fixed before release?
> >
> > IMO, we should only do that if it's practical, i.e. if there's someone
> > who would work on fixing that.
> 
> I don't think that's the right approach.
> 
> One purpose of marking things as release blockers is to encourage
> people to work on them.

Sure, provided that there's someone who can be encouraged.  Otherwise,
it's futile, isn't it?

But I didn't write what you cite above as a general proposal.  I wrote
that specifically about this kind of bugs: I find it hard to believe
that we would consider such bugs critical, i.e. something with which
it would be unthinkable to release Emacs.  You need to read what I
wrote keeping this in mind, and without generalizing it to any other
kind of bugs, particularly those that are really critical ones.

> > I'd also suggest to have bug#22294 be the release blocker, [...]
> 
> You don't need to suggest it, please just do it.

If #21422 is marked as a blocker, I will do the same for #22294.  They
are in the same boat: extremely inconvenient, but not really critical.

> It would be great if the list of blocking bugs became something other
> than just my own opinion.

It stopped being just your own option long ago.  I'm using it, for
one.

Thanks.