Subject: Re: bug#21415: 25.0.50; Emacs Trunk -- pixelwise width/height for x-create-frame

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2015 11:02:08 +0200

> Unfortunately, removing the suggested lines break another feature.
 >
 > The system is designed so that it should be possible to programmatically
 > place the top of the frame above the top of the screen (when the menu bar
 > is hidden). This is useful to hide the window title so that the full height
 > of the screen can be utilised to edit text. When the suggested patch is
 > applied, this no longer is possible.

OK.  But this _is_ a different issue we could customize appropriately.
Auto hiding the menu bar should not unconditionally require to hide the
title bar as well.  So we could easily add an additional value to
‘ns-auto-hide-menu-bar’, say 'hide-menu-bar-only, where we only hide the
menu bar and still constrain the frame to the screen.  Both nil and t
would mean to leave the current behavior unchanged.  WDYT?

 > I would say that the problem is not related to this, but to `make-frame'
 > itself. When a weight higher than the default is specified,

What is a "weight higher than the default"?  I suppose you mean "height"
but I still don't understand.  What is the "default"?

 > it should
 > adjust the window to start further down.

Further "up" maybe?

 > As it is today, it always seem to
 > start mid screen.

IIUC Emacs does _not_ ask for a specific start position.  If it does we
could remove that.  Eventually it's always up to the WM to put the
window where it wants to.

 > Below is a small test file I have used to test the frame placement
 > features. If you come up with another solution, you can use it to check
 > that it doesn't break existing features. By the way, it's not intended to
 > be loaded, instead follow the comment and evaluate the expression one by
 > one and check that the result is as described in the file.

This one appears severely mangled by one of our MUAs.  But I have no OS
X here to check this anyway.  Maybe Keith can comment.

 > ;; ns-frame-test.el --- test for NextStep (Mac OS X) frame
 > positioning.;; Author: Anders Lindgren;; This file is *not* intended
...

Thanks for the quick response, martin