Subject: bug#21415: 25.0.50; Emacs Trunk -- pixelwise width/height for x-create-frame

From: Anders Lindgren <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2015 09:10:19 +0200

Hi,

I just checked this against Emacs 24.5. In that version, new frames always
start at 0 x 0, no matter how high they are. In addition, both versions
seem to react to the `top' property -- in Emacs 24 the window is placed
relative to the top (as expected). In Emacs 25 the start position when the
parameter is missing or is zero places the bottom of the frame in the
middle-ish of the screen, and a positive value for `top' places it further
down on the screen.

I would suggest that we try to find why Emacs 24 and 25 differs, so we can
revert back to the old behaviour.

A side topic: The documentation to `make-frame' seems a little bit vague.
It doesn't include `top' as an attribute, on the other hand doesn't say
that it accepts more properties than the ones listed. In addition, is the
limitation when it comes to `width' and `height' correct ("You cannot
specify either `width' or `height', you must specify neither or both.")? If
seems to work just fine when I supply only a `height' property.

Sincerely,
    Anders Lindgren

On Sun, Sep 13, 2015 at 1:13 AM, Keith David Bershatsky <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> I meant to say that I call `(set-frame-position FRAME 0 0)` to fix the
> inability to use `(top . 0)` as a frame parameter argument on frame
> creation when `ns-auto-hide-menu-bar` is set to `t`.
>