Subject: bug#21415: 25.0.50; Emacs Trunk -- pixelwise width/height for x-create-frame

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2015 18:07:27 +0200

Hi Anders

Four problems encountered when running your patch with GNUStep Emacs
under xfwm4:

(1) With emacs -Q doing

(set-frame-parameter (selected-frame) 'fullscreen 'maximized)

maximizes the frame but (a) the "restore size button" of the window
manager decoration is not enabled, (b) leaves the external borders
visible on screen and (c) has the task bar hide the echo area of the
Emacs frame, see screenshot-1.png.

(a) is probably due to a failed interaction with the window manager.
(b) is not critical because even with GTK, for example, I can still see
the top border on a maximized frame.  (c) is not really acceptable.

(2) With

emacs -Q --eval "(setq default-frame-alist '((fullscreen . maximized)))"

I see the same symptoms as with (1) however the initial frame also
contains two tool bar lines, see screenshot-2.png.  This is the same
problem I had earlier with emacs -Q and which now disappeared.

(3) With emacs -Q hitting the window manager key for maximizing the
window that has focus, the Emacs frame loses its external borders but
does not extend to the edges of the screen, see screenshot-3.png.  Not
grave but slightly annoying.  Note that here the "restore size button"
is enabled correctly.

(4) After doing

(set-frame-parameter (selected-frame) 'fullscreen 'fullwidth)

doing

(set-frame-parameter (selected-frame) 'fullscreen 'maximized)

does not change the frame size at all.  Same after making a fullheight
frame.  I suppose this also makes your ert test fail here.

martin