Subject: Re: bug#21415: 25.0.50; Emacs Trunk -- pixelwise width/height for x-create-frame

From: Anders Lindgren <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2015 23:53:20 +0200

Martin,

I've got a quick question. I noticed that the OS X port behaves a bit
inconsistent when it comes to restricting a frame to the screen --
sometimes it is restricted in height, sometimes it's not. I would like to
make this more consistent, but I'm not sure in which direction I should go.

How does the other terms (especially X11) behave? Does it restrict the
frame to be within the screen? If so, does it allow for the frame border to
be placed outside the screen?

What happens if the frame is first resized and then moved. Should the
resize truncate the height, even though the move would place the entire
frame inside the screen borders? Can a move and a resize be made atomically
(pixelwise)?

Personally, I'd prefer it there is no truncation. However, if it is, I
really would like to be able to allow the frame border to stretch outside
the screen, in order to really maximize the screen real estate.

/ Anders

On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 7:37 PM, martin rudalics <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > Attached are the test suite results for each 10/13/2015 build of Emacs
> -- OSX 10.6.8, and Windows XP.
>
> Thanks.  Apparently toggling the tool bar on OSX is still causing
> problems.  Can you please, on OSX, do the following with emacs -Q:
>
> (1) Toggle the tool bar off.  Does the overall frame height shrink or
>     stay the same?
>
> (2) Toggle the tool bar on again.  Does the overall frame height
>     increase or stay the same?
>
> (3) Evaluate (setq frame-inhibit-implied-resize t) and repeat steps (1)
>     and (2).
>
> Thanks, martin
>