Subject: Re: bug#21415: 25.0.50; Emacs Trunk -- pixelwise width/height for x-create-frame

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2015 17:31:31 +0200

> Would it be possible to broaden the scope of issue number 21415 to
 > include Emacs for Microsoft Windows such that the following will also
 > work using a floating point:
 >
 >      (make-frame '(
 >        (height . 25.0)
 >        (width . 50.0)))
 >

A 25 x 50 pixels window might look a bit small but 500.0 x 250.0 work
here.  With X things get more complicated but they should work there
too.  The major problem is and will remain NS: If with emacs -Q, you
evaluate

(progn
   (setq frame-resize-pixelwise t)
   (setq frame-inhibit-implied-resize t)
   (make-frame '((width . 1200.0) (height . 600.0)
		(font . "-*-Courier-normal-normal-normal-*-17-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1"))))

what does

(cons (frame-text-width) (frame-text-height))

return?

 > Because I do not yet have the knowledge to build Emacs for Microsoft
 > Windows,

You should acquire that knowledge.  If there are any problems, Eli will
help (I won't because I'm misconfiguring).  The more people build on
Windows, the sooner we will be able to catch errors there.  As things
stand, too many people wait for the next release of ...

 > I have been using the Emacs Trunk built by Dani Moncayo.  The updates are every few weeks.
 >
 > https://sourceforge.net/projects/emacs-bin/?source=updater

... and if Dani picked up a bad moment, we might get floods of errors
for something that was broken (and maybe even fixed) some time ago.

And I forgot to mention one aspect: You might then even be the first to
regularly build Emacs on both Windows and NS.  While this probably won't
give you any bonus points in this community, it still might be
interesting to get first hand experience with comparing the behavior of
Emacs on the two major proprietary systems.

martin