Subject: compiling with "-flto -fuse-linker-plugin" gives libtool error

From: John Frankish <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2015 12:00:27 +0400

Hi,

Compiling some packages with "-flto -fuse-linker-plugin" gives a libtool
error during "make". Compiling the same package without  "-flto
-fuse-linker-plugin" allows "make" to complete without errors.

The problem seems to occur with a few 10's of packages (eg cogl-1.20.0), but
not with others (eg gnome-music-3.16.2).

Regards
John

Using cogl-1.20.0 as an example:

CC="gcc -flto -fuse-linker-plugin -mtune=generic -Os -pipe" CXX="g++ -flto
-fuse-linker-plugin -mtune=generic -Os -pipe -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti"
./configure --prefix=/usr/local --disable-static --localstatedir=/var
--enable-gles1 --enable-gles2 --enable-cogl-gst=yes

find . -name Makefile -type f -exec sed -i 's/-O2//g' {} \;

make
...
CC       cogl-enum-types.lo
CCLD     libcogl.la
../libtool: eval: line 1: syntax error: unexpected "|"
Makefile:1507: recipe for target 'libcogl.la' failed
make[4]: *** [libcogl.la] Error 2