Subject: Re: bug#21401: 11.88.6; Incorrect detection of TeX variant

From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2015 07:54:00 +0200

Jonathan Underwood <[email-masked]> writes:

> The following simple file results in AucTeX assuming the compiler to
> run is AmS-TeX which no longer exists on most machines.
>
> \documentclass[11pt]{article}
>  \usepackage{basicart1}
> \begin{document}
>
> \Document{DocNum}{\today}

I think this line is the culprit.  AmS-TeX is detected by something
matching the regex "\\\\document\\b" near the beginning of the document
(see `TeX-format-list').

I don't know AmS-TeX at all but I think the regexes in `TeX-format-list'
should be matched case-sensitively (they are currently not), no?  And
then your \Document wouldn't be matched.

Matthew Saltzman <[email-masked]> writes:

> It's not so much that AmS-TeX is detected, as the amstex processor is
> still part of TeXLive (and I presume other distributions as well), but
> when AmS-TeX is detected and the option to produce PDF output is
> selected, the command that is invoked is pdfamstex, which does not
> exist at all, anywhere.

I guess we should use amstex -output-format=pdf then, right?

Bye,
Tassilo