Subject: bug#21400: Location of "file" is hard coded

From: Bob Friesenhahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2015 14:02:55 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 2 Sep 2015, Peter Rosin wrote:
>
> I had a quick look, and AFAICT, all uses of hardcoded /usr/bin/file are
> in system-specific code paths. So, you must have the file utility in an
> odd location for your type of system (and /usr/local/bin seems a bit odd
> for a basic utility such as file).

I do recall libtool discussions of the 'file' command from a long time 
ago.  The hard-coded path is surely by design and not by accident.

While there is one popular implementation of the 'file' command it may 
be that there are other programs called 'file' in the path which do 
something else entirely.

Libtool depends on specific text being printed by the 'file' command 
in order to make key decisions.

Bob
-- 
Bob Friesenhahn
[email-masked], http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/
GraphicsMagick Maintainer,    http://www.GraphicsMagick.org/