Subject: Re: 25.0.50; read-key's prompt is not visible

From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2015 19:50:23 +0200

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

>>   1. emacs -Q
>>   2. eval (read-key "Gimme Key: ") in *scratch*
>> the key will be read but the prompt is not shown in the minibuffer
> [...]
>> commit 5dc644a6b01e2cf950ff617ab15be4bf1917c38c
>> Author: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
>> Date:   Tue Sep 1 21:14:18 2015 -0400
>>     Generalize the prefix-command machinery of C-u
>
> Hmm... I'll look into it.

Great, thanks.  Meanwhile others have seen that issue, too.  See the
thread on emacs-devel.

>> Git bisect says the commit introducing this problem is Stefan whom I
>> added to the Cc.
>
> Thanks for bisecting.  Putting me in the Cc was more trouble than
> anything else: it means I get *your* message instead of the one from
> Debbugs, so I don't get to know the bug-number and a naive reply would
> end up creating a new bug-nb!
> [ Tho, IIRC Glenn(?) added some Message-ID matching to Debbugs to try
>   and catch those cases.  So maybe it's not that bad.  ]
>
> Better either not put the person in the Cc (in case you expect/know the
> person subscribes to bug-gnu-emacs), or else use "X-Debbugs-Cc:" which
> instructs Debbugs to add the person to the Cc of the messages it sends out.

Oh, thanks for the pointer.  Do you think it would be a good idea to
remap `message-goto-cc' to a similar function which goes to (and thereby
creates) the X-Debbugs-Cc header?  I think it's generally a good idea to
notify the person who introduced some problem, and Cc-ing seems to be
the obvious way to do that.

Bye,
Tassilo