Subject: 25.0.50; Segfault when displaying unprintable character in echo area while frames are being created

From: Pip Cet <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2015 16:43:13 +0000

Recipe:

Launch emacs -Q.

C-x C-f emacs-bug-038.el
M-x eval-buffer

Wait for approximately one minute.

The contents of emacs-bug-038.el are:

------
(run-with-timer 0 .01 (lambda () (message (make-string 1 0))))

(while t
  (let ((f (make-frame)))
    (sit-for .1)
    (delete-frame f)))
------

The repository is unmodified Emacs HEAD; while the CFLAGS contain an extra
option to dump gimple trees, I believe that should have no influence on the
produced code. I have attached a full gdb log.

I have been unable to reproduce this bug with emacs -Q --load
emacs-bug-038.el.

Please let me know if I can provide any further information or do anything
else to help fix this bug.

In GNU Emacs 25.0.50.14 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.16.6)
 of 2015-09-01
Repository revision: da88ad6cb1e98ef9f28462648ab53d81d22dd189
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11702000
System Description:    Debian GNU/Linux unstable (sid)

Configured using:
 'configure 'CFLAGS=-O0 -g3 -fdump-tree-gimple-vops-verbose-raw-lineno''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS NOTIFY LIBSELINUX
GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message dired format-spec
rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util help-fns help-mode easymenu cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib mail-prsvr
mail-utils time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan
thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian
slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 81444 9134)
 (symbols 48 19017 0)
 (miscs 40 42 136)
 (strings 32 13315 4665)
 (string-bytes 1 380651)
 (vectors 16 11238)
 (vector-slots 8 413731 5198)
 (floats 8 131 60)
 (intervals 56 189 0)
 (buffers 976 11)
 (heap 1024 18466 983))