Subject: 25.0.50; Make visual rectangular selection look better

From: Mark Karpov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2015 20:16:38 +0600

There is a cool new feature in Emacs 25: visual support for rectangular
selection. However, I would like to set its width to one pixel when it's
“logical” width is zero columns of text. By default it's a bit too
bold. Is it possible?

Also, it would be cool if it didn't “shift” text on the right side of
the selection when its width is zero.

In GNU Emacs 25.0.50.19 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.16.6)
 of 2015-08-31 on arch
Repository revision: 62661fe759dfc826f31b032e49f0f15b40a207d5
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11702000
Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS
NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: iε

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  rainbow-delimiters-mode: t
  hl-todo-mode: t
  flycheck-mode: t
  flyspell-mode: t
  whitespace-mode: t
  yas-global-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  minibuffer-electric-default-mode: t
  ido-vertical-mode: t
  ido-ubiquitous-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  highlight-line-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  global-aggressive-indent-mode: t
  aggressive-indent-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  ace-popup-menu-mode: t
  smartparens-global-mode: t
  smartparens-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  auto-fill-function: do-auto-fill
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-fill-mode: 1

Recent messages:
Quit
Undo!
Quit [2 times]
3 packages will be deleted:
phoenix-dark-mono-theme, monokai-theme, monochrome-theme, proceed? (y or n) y
Package `phoenix-dark-mono-theme-20130306.1215' deleted.
Package `monokai-theme-20150521.2257' deleted.
Package `monochrome-theme-20140326.350' deleted.
[yas] snippet expanded.
[yas] Snippet 0 exited.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail apropos zop-to-char ace-window
vc-git linum magit-blame magit-stash magit-bisect magit-remote
magit-commit magit-sequence magit magit-apply magit-wip magit-log
magit-diff smerge-mode diff-mode magit-core magit-process magit-popup
magit-mode magit-git crm magit-section magit-utils git-commit log-edit
message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils
mailheader pcvs-util add-log with-editor async-bytecomp async tramp-sh
tramp tramp-compat auth-source eieio eieio-core gnus-util mm-util
help-fns mail-prsvr password-cache tramp-loaddefs trampver shell
pcomplete comint ansi-color format-spec hl-line dired rainbow-delimiters
hl-todo flycheck-haskell haskell-cabal haskell-utils haskell-customize
flycheck find-func rx flyspell ispell whitespace mk-visual
smart-mode-line rich-minority solarized-dark-theme solarized mk-texinfo
mk-tex mk-python mk-prolog mk-org mk-markdown mk-man mk-magit mk-lisp
mk-ibuffer mk-haskell mk-gnus mk-eshell mk-erc mk-elisp mk-dired mk-diff
mk-clojure kill-or-bury-alive mk-calendar mk-c mk-bookmark
mk-minor-modes common-lisp-snippets yasnippet cl whole-line-or-region
paren minibuf-eldef ido-vertical-mode ido-ubiquitous
ido-completing-read+ cl-macs gv ido highlight-line autorevert filenotify
cl-seq aggressive-indent easy-mmode time delsel ace-popup-menu
smartparens-config smartparens byte-opt thingatpt mk-global edmacro
kmacro ace-link avy ring misc server mk-utils subr-x f dash s
ucs-normalize finder-inf tex-site fix-word advice slime-autoloads info
bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra help-mode seq cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib
cconv package easymenu epg-config time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 395106 99247)
 (symbols 48 36952 0)
 (miscs 40 138 876)
 (strings 32 71740 69217)
 (string-bytes 1 2127715)
 (vectors 16 54899)
 (vector-slots 8 1264383 119336)
 (floats 8 374 1070)
 (intervals 56 328 485)
 (buffers 976 16)
 (heap 1024 64124 5145))